Wednesday, March 2, 2011

half-way point



I'm past my half-way point, but thought I'd mark it anyway. I've definitely settled into a routine of EARLY morning meditation and asana practice, breakfast, painting , chanting, lunch/dinner, meditation, and EARLY bedtime. the reason I stress early is because the alarm goes off at 3:30am on most days and 2:30am on Fridays and Sundays. Sometimes I wonder if this is really a vacation :)
The first picture is Jen giving coconut water to one of our local shala dogs (the dogs that meet & greet us in the wee early hours before and after practice.) This one (im not sure if she has a name) likes to make sure im focused in my meditation by licking my palms and sniffing my face!



This is me on my scooter which I drive into town for painting (below) and chanting. Some people may think its a crazy place to drive, but I find it the best place for two-wheelers since almost everybody is on one and the speeds do not exceed 30mph. Its a bit crowded on the road, but there is a collective consciousness which allows for organized chaos.



I must also HIGHLY recommend my chanting teacher to anyone interested. His name is James Boag and if you're not in Mysore, he will be touring the US and Europe this year. He is currently getting his MA in Sanskrit here in Mysore and leads Kirtan and Bhagavad Gita. He has a very special gift of song, story telling, and teaching which he so generously shares with us four days a week. His info and current Mysore schedule is as follows:

James Boag
tel:959 113 5031 email:jamesrboag@gmail.com

Kirtan: Wednesdays and Sundays: 1:30-3:30pm
There is often a short talk on a theme related to yoga at the beginning or end.

Gita/Philosophy class: Tuesdays and Thursdays: 1:00-3:30pm
All welcome, it does not matter if you have not attended previous classes. Some very beautiful sloka-s and we will recite and translate.

A note from James...
"One of the engagements I am particularly looking forward to is the Telluride Yoga Festival, 14-17 July.

There are two complementary themes for this summer's festival in Telluride, bhakti and vinyasa, and I expect to speak on how they are related in the keynote address which I will give on the Sunday. I'm also looking forward to offering three themed kirtan sessions, combining a talk developing an aspect of yoga theory/philosophy and the practice of kirtan. There are some very well-respected teachers presenting at the conference and a wide and to my mind quite balanced and interesting offering of classes. I know that for many of you Colorado might be hard to get to this July, but if you might be in the area, it would be wonderful to see you there. Registration for the conference is open and you can sign up via the festival website. If you would like to register, I understand that if you give 'James 2011' as a 'promotional code' you are entitled to a modest discount.

Before Colorado, I will hopefully give some talks and kirtan in the New York area, and after will be working with Paul Millage in the Seattle area offering a series of classes, themed kirtans and a weekend retreat. Apart from Telluride and Seattle, the exact itinerary is yet to be finalized, that should all take shape once my exam dates have been announced, hopefully by the end of this month.

Apart from in the US, I'm also hoping to offer some talks, kirtans and workshops in Spain, Germany, Italy, Romania and England, maybe Prague too, will send out relevant information once dates and venues are confirmed."

1 comment:

  1. Martinaaa you look so cool in your two wheeler... Brave soul you!!!! That painting is sooo coming along... Beautiful!!!! Oh I miss the peace of my sore and the early routine of meditation... But I AM keeping the hourly sitting! So funny that the dos leaks your palms... Ha ha... Made me laugh... By the way I also really liked James kirtan, he has a gift

    ReplyDelete