Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Rangoli

Rangoli is one of the first things I noticed in the neighbordhoods here on my first trip three years ago. It is a custom that I love and wish I had the energy and discipline to do in my living space.



Every morning, the woman of the house sweeps and washes the front porch or entry-way and uses chalk powder to create a beautiful geometric design. I've practiced this with with regular chalk - the kind we have, the stick of chalk used on chalk boards, and that's hard enough to get symmetrical and pretty. These women sift chalk powder through their thumb and forefinger with perfect grace and ease. I guess like anything it comes with practice.



There are a variety of traditional customs around India that explain the purpose of this - from bringing good fortune to warding off evil spirits. I can tell you the benefits I feel. There is a loving care that is given when someone takes the time every day to clean and create beauty. Each day is a new creation.

Here are some of the designs around my neighborhood, and I even asked this woman if she wouldnt mind me taking her picture.



I love how the dog is also interested in her work :)




1 comment:

  1. Wow. I love this! I just got my little one a chalk board. This gets me inspired! It's funny to see bc I got really into making paper snowflakes this year, the result of which is an elementary version of this. They made me quite happy to make and to hang around the house. On to the next level!

    ReplyDelete